- 26 November 2016
- 28 April 2016
- 3 December 2015
About the Basilica...
The Basilica is dedicated to Our Lady of Grace, whose wooden statue is kept in the Chapel of the Vow.
On the hill, as early as 1461, well before the Basilica was built, there was a small church, the parish for the faithful of the place. At that time the hill was "an acute mountain, and at the end of it a church with three altars located in the very place where now stands the church of the Royal Congregation of Superga, but in a higher site", dedicated to the Virgin but also to St. Anthony and St. Grato.
The Basilica was founded by Duke Vittorio Amedeo II of Savoy after the siege and the battle of Turin in 1706.
Before the decisive battle Vittorio Amedeo II and his cousin Eugenio of Savoy - Soissons, they went up on the hill of Superga to evaluate the deployment of enemy troops and choose the best strategy to liberate Turin from it. Just on the hill Duke made a vow to the Virgin Mary, promising Her that, if victorious, he would have built a shrine dedicated to her.
Filippo Juvarra does not just design the Basilica, but also leaves very detailed instructions on the materials to use and the interior decorations.
The bricks had to have precise dimensions, and they were cooked on the hill. The iron used was from Augusta of Ceres and very detailed instructions were given by the Messinese architect about the marbles to be used: green of Susa, black of Como, Verona yellow, white of Brosasco and Carrara, Persichino of Saravezza.
Place of worship, museum, popular with tourists and sports fans.
The Basilica, offers a panorama described by Jean Jacques Rousseau as "I have before the most beautiful sight that can strike the human eye." De Amicis wrote "The view of the hill of Superga is largest and most beautiful of his fame." While maintaining clear his religious vocation, the Basilica is a tourist destination not to be missed. Thousands of visitors each year choose it for various reasons: pilgrims, art and history lovers, sports or natural beauty and landscape enthusiasts. The Basilica and the wonderful surrounding hills have so much to offer that you can not be disappointed!
- The Basilica is 75 meters high
- To house it the hill was lowered by 40 meters
- The term "Superga" derives from "Serrapergia", name of Germanic- Latin origin which means "mountain between the hills"
- The church was inaugurated in 1731 but only consecrated in 1749 by Cardinal Lanze